Best Yoga Mats 2020 – Updated by Burbro Editors on May 19th, 2020
- Best Yoga Mats in 2020
- 1. Liforme Yoga Mat
- 2. Jade Fusion Yoga Mat
- 3. Manduka Pro Yoga Mat
- 4. Hugger Mugger Para Rubber Yoga Mat
- 5. Manduka eKo Yoga Mat
- 6. Tranquil Yogi Tranquility Cork Mat
- 7. BalanceFrom – GoYoga Mat
- 8. Gaiam Premium Print Yoga Mat
- 9. ProSource Fit Extra Thick Yoga Mat
- 10. CleverYoga Non-Slip Yoga Mat
- Buying Guide for Yoga Mats
- Which Type of Yoga Will You Be Practicing?
- Pick the Right Thickness of Yoga Mat
- Choose an Anti-Slip Yoga Mat
- Pick a Yoga Mat with the Right Size
- Choose the Right Texture
- Look for Eco-Friendly Materials
- Shop Within Your Price Range
- Buy a Yoga Mat With a Warranty
- Find Your Style
- How to Break-In Your Yoga Mat
- How to Clean Your Yoga Mat
- How to Roll Your Yoga Mat to Avoid Curls
- Do Yoga Mats Wear Out?
- Summary — Best Yoga Mats for 2020
OUR EDITORS INDEPENDENTLY RESEARCH, SELECT, AND RECOMMEND THE BEST PRODUCTS FOR REVIEW. AT TIMES (AND AT NO EXTRA COST TO YOU), WE MAY RECEIVE COMMISSIONS ON PURCHASES MADE THROUGH OUR CHOSEN LINKS. WE WILL ONLY EVER PROMOTE THE PRODUCTS AND SERVICES THAT WE TRUST AND 100% RECOMMEND. YOU MAY READ OUR FULL AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR MORE INFORMATION.
Whether you’re a veteran yogi or a beginner in the yoga world, you’ve likely realized that not all yoga mats are created equal. Some yoga mats that are designed well for yoga sessions while others tend to slip around on the floor and cause issues while you’re trying to practice your yoga positions.
Almost all yoga mats look alike, and this is why you’ll need to be careful when you’re buying your yoga mat. You don’t want to buy a poor quality yoga mat that slips around the room and makes it harder for you to practice your yoga.
In this article, we are going to take a look at the best yoga mats that you can find, and also show you what to look for when you’re buying a yoga mat so that you can make an educated decision and purchase the best yoga mat for you and your needs.
Best Yoga Mats in 2020
We are going to be taking a look at some of the best yoga mats that you can start using in your yoga sessions. We’re going to take a more in-depth look at each of the yoga mats on our list, but we have created a shortlist of the best yoga mats so that you can quickly find what you’re searching for. Here are the best yoga mats that you can use for your yoga sessions:
- Best Yoga Mat Overall: Liforme Yoga Mat
- Editor’s Pick: Jade Fusion Yoga Mat
- Best Eco-Friendly Yoga Mat: Manduka Pro Yoga Mat
- Also Popular: Hugger Mugger Para Rubber Yoga Mat
- Also Popular: Manduka Eko Yoga Mat
- Best Cork Yoga Mat: Tranquil Yogi Tranquility Cork Mat
- Best for the Money: BalanceFrom – GoYoga Mat
- Staff Pick: Gaiam Premium Print Yoga Mat
- Best Extra-Thick Yoga Mat: ProSource Fit Yoga Mat
- Also Popular: CleverYoga Non-Slip Yoga Mat
Best yoga mat, overall.
Features: Built with Eco-Friendly Materials | Better Grip than most yoga mats | Wider, Longer Mats for more space | Alignment Markings for better positioning | Yoga Mat provides comfort and stability | Carry Bag and Strap Included
If you’re looking for the best yoga mat, then you’ll want to take a look at the Liforme Yoga Mat. This product is a high-quality yoga mat that is created from natural materials and is designed for all levels of yogis.
The Liforme Yoga Mats are made of natural rubber, and a specially engineered form of eco-polyurethane and they contain zero PVC materials. This makes the Liforme Yoga Mat environmentally friendly and allows the mats to decompose within 1-5 years in a landfill naturally, which means faster recycling processes.
One of the things that we love about this yoga mat is the fact that it is much wider and longer than most yoga mats. The extended size of the mats is a feature that was designed to give yogis the space that they crave when they’re practicing yoga.
These yoga mats also come with an alignment system printed onto the top so that you can quickly improve your yoga technique by having the proper alignments and positioning while you’re practicing yoga.
Another reason that we love the Liforme Yoga Mat is hat it has an incredible grip, which keeps you from sliding around while you’re doing yoga. They also have a nice amount of cushion, which allows you to be comfortable and stable while you practice yoga.
Editor’s Pick for the best yoga mat.
Features: Extra thick for better comfort | Built with natural materials | One tree planted for each mat sold | Natural rubber provides better grip | Yoga mats are Made in American
One of the yoga mats that could easily be tied for first is the Jade Fusion Yoga Mat, which is a yoga mat that is designed with extra thickness for beginners or anyone that likes to be comfortable while they practice yoga.
The Jade Fusion Yoga Mat is lovely because it is built with natural, high-quality materials to ensure that you have optimal performance when you’re practicing yoga and that your yoga mat lasts for a long time.
Since these yoga mats are built with materials that are taken from trees, Jade Yoga has created an eco-friendly program that gives back to mother nature. This program is designed to plant one new tree for each yoga mat that they sell, and since 2006 they have planted over one million trees.
These yoga mats come with an extra thickness, which makes them perfect for restorative yoga, pilates and even CrossFit athletes. They also come with a natural rubber which keeps your yoga mat from slipping around on the floor while you have your yoga sessions.
The best eco-friendly yoga mat.
Features: Mats have a Lifetime Warranty | All-Purpose Yoga Mat | Built-in an emission-free facility | Extra thick for added comfort | Anti-Slip Technology | Hygienic, sweat blocking design
Another yoga mat that you may want to look at if you’re looking for the best yoga mat is the Manduka Pro Yoga Mat. This yoga mat is loved by thousands of customers and is a perfect all-purpose yoga mat.
Manduka has taken it upon themselves to reduce the amount of PVC yoga mats that are ending up in landfills each year, which is why they produce their yoga mats in an emission-free facility. This means that the yoga mats are perfectly safe for use by you, children and even pets.
The Manduka Pro Yoga Mats have a 6mm high-density cushion, which helps keep you comfortable while you make with soft or hard flooring. It also is equipped with an anti-slip technology that is designed to grab the floors and prevent injuries from yoga mats slipping while you’re in position.
One of the things that we love about the Manduka Pro mats is the fact that it comes with closed construction blocks that are designed to block bacteria and sweat from absorbing into the yoga mat. This makes your yoga mat feel clean and hygienic between yoga sessions.
A popular anti-slip rubber yoga mat.
Features: Two-Sided Anti-Slip Technology | Natural Rubber for Durability | ¼ inch of cushion and absorption | Eco-Friendly Yoga Mats
If you’re still looking for a yoga mat that will meet your needs, then you may want to take a look at the Hugger Mugger Para Rubber Yoga Mat, which is manufactured by Hugger Mugger Fitness.
This yoga mat is designed with natural rubber, which helps your mat to be durable and last longer than other styles of yoga mats. The Para Rubber mat is also double-sided with natural rubber, which gives it an anti-slip feature, which will keep you from sliding around.
When it comes to yoga mats, you always want to be comfortable, and that’s what you’ll get when you use Hugger Mugger Yoga Mats. It’s designed with a quarter-inch thickness while maintaining a high level of structure and stability so that you can easily practice your yoga positions.
A durable rubber yoga mat.
Features: Designed by Yoga Teachers for Yoga Students | One of the most durable natural rubber mats | No PVC or Harmful Plastics | Made from Biodegradable, sustainable sources | Surface provides grip that grabs the floor
One of the best yoga mats that we have been able to find is the Manduka eKo Yoga Mat, which is a natural yoga mat that is created from sustainably harvested rubber trees. Unlike other yoga mats that may be on the market, the foam agents in the eKo yoga mat are non-toxic.
The Manduka eKo Yoga mat features a naturally grippy surface that is designed to grab the floors and provide traction so that you can practice yoga without slipping on the floor and getting an injury.
It also comes with a sealed cell surface that is designed to provide durability and prolong the life of your yoga mat. It also has a built-in open-air system which is designed to offer more cushion for your joints while you practice yoga.
While this yoga mat is a great choice, it’s a bit more expensive than other yoga mats, which is why we have it lower on our list.
The best cork yoga mat.
Features: Made from natural rubber | Provides joint comfort | Anti-Microbial / Odor Free Yoga Mat | Alignment Points for better Form | Non-Slip Cork Yoga Mat | Yoga Mat Carrying Strap
If you’re looking for a high-quality yoga mat that is created from natural sources, then you’ll want to take a look at the Tranquility Cork Yoga mat by Tranquil Yogi. It’s designed with natural rubber and provides high-density comfort that will protect your joints from compressing.
The Tranquility Cork Yoga mat comes with a natural anti-bacterial surface that will protect you from germs and allow you to practice yoga in a clean environment. This makes it perfect for regular yogis because your mat will always be clean and odour-free.
This yoga mat also comes with built-in alignment points that will help you practice yoga with better form. All you need to do is reference the alignment points on the mat and realign your body so that you have better technique and form.
Since cork is naturally grippy, you’ll find that this yoga mat will grab the floor and provide a stable base for you while you practice yoga. Even if you sweat, you’ll find that the mat grabs the floor even better, which makes it perfect for hot yoga.
Another thing that we love about the Tranquility Cork Yoga mat is the fact that it comes with a carrying strap, which allows you to carry your yoga mat around without any hassle easily.
Best yoga mat for the money.
Features: Cost-Friendly Yoga Mats | Double-Sided Non-Slip Surface | Moisture Resistant for Easy Cleaning | Carrying Strap for portability | 2 Year Warranty by BalanceFrom
Another yoga mat that you may be interested in if you’re looking for the best yoga mat is the GoYoga Mat by Balance Form. This yoga mat is one of the more cost-friendly yoga mats that we have been able to find while still providing a high level of quality.
One of the things that we love about the GoYoga mats is their ability to prevent injuries by being slip-resistant. These yoga mats are designed with a double-sided non-slip surface that will grab to any floor and gives you a solid base to practice yoga.
These mats are also moisture resistant, which means that you can easily wash any sweat off of your mat, and you’ll never need to worry about any odours that are being held by your yoga mat.
The GoYoga mats are also perfect for anyone that is practicing yoga on the go. This is because these yoga mats come with a carrying strap that allows you to carry your yoga mat wherever you need to go.
Another thing that we love about these yoga mats is the fact that they are backed by a 2-year warranty, which will protect you from manufacturer defects. This warranty is a pretty good deal considering how cost-friendly these mats are.
Staff Pick for the best yoga mat.
Features: Cost-Friendly Yoga Mats | Lightweight, Durable and Thick | Textured Anti-Slip Surface | Toxic-Free Materials | Over 40 different print designs
If you’re looking for a cost-friendly yoga mat that will allow you to practice your yoga, then you may like the Gaiam Premium Print Yoga Mats. These yoga mats are reasonably cheap while still providing a high-quality yoga mat.
The Gaiam Premium Yoga mats are lightweight, which makes them easier to carry while offering a thick comfortable surface that protects your joints. This makes it ideal for just about any level of yoga.
These yoga mats also feature a textured surface that allows the mats to grab the floors, which means that you’ll never have to worry about your yoga mat slipping around while you practice yoga.
One of the things that we like about these yoga mats is the fact that they come with some stylish prints. The Gaiam Premium Yoga mats currently come in over 40 different styles, which means that you’ll always be able to find one that suits your taste.
Best extra-thick yoga mat.
Features: Cost-Friendly Yoga Mats | Extra Thick Foam for Comfort | Water Resistant Foam | Non-Slip Yoga Mats | Carrying Strap for Portability
If you’re just starting yoga and you find that it hurts your joints to practice yoga, then you may want a thicker yoga mat to ease the pressure on your joints. If this is the case, then you may want to look at the extra-thick yoga mat by ProSource.
This yoga mat is created with high-density comfort foam, which is designed to protect sensitive joints and provide added comfort during yoga sessions. It also works for anyone that has bad knees and requires extra padding for exercises.
The ProSource Yoga Mats are also water-resistant, which means that they’ll never absorb sweat or odour from past yoga sessions. This also makes it easier to clean because you can simply wipe your mat with a damp cloth and allow it to air dry.
These ProSource mats also come with an anti-slip technology that allows them to grab the floors without sliding out. This technology will enable you to practice yoga without having to worry about potential injuries from falling.
A popular anti-slip yoga mat.
Features: Cost-Friendly Yoga Mats | Built with thick foam for extra comfort | Yoga Mats are extra wide for more room | Mats will grip the floor and not slip | Durable and easy to clean
Another thick yoga mat that you may want to take a look at is the CleverYoga Non-Slip Yoga Mats. These Yoga mats come with high-density foam that is designed to take the pressure off your joints while you practice yoga.
These yoga mats are also extra wide so that you’ll never have to worry about not having enough space when you’re in a yoga session. They also come with a wavy surface, which makes the mats grip the floors and avoid slipping.
The CleverYoga Non-Slip Yoga Mats are also lightweight and can be easily carried to and from your yoga practices. They are also free from toxic materials and are built with eco-friendly materials that are safe for people to use.
Buying Guide for Yoga Mats
When you’re buying a yoga mat, there are several things that you’ll want to take a look at before you purchase to ensure that you’ve found the best yoga mats for you and your needs.
In this section, we will be covering the basics of buying a yoga mat and try to help you make an educated decision when you purchase a yoga mat.
Here are some of the things that you should look for in a yoga mat.
Which Type of Yoga Will You Be Practicing?
Before you purchase a yoga mat, you’ll need to determine which type of yoga you’ll be doing while you’re using your yoga mat so that you can determine which type of yoga mat will be the right one for your yoga sessions.
If you’re going to use your yoga mat to practise Hatha Yoga or even Yin Yoga, then you’ll likely be fine with a standard yoga mat. This is because you won’t be getting very sweaty with these forms of yoga, so the traction that a standard yoga mat can provide will be more than enough.
If you’re going to be practicing other forms of yoga such as Vinyasa, Ashtanga or Hot Yoga, then you may want to find a yoga mat that can absorb more sweat and provide better traction so that you don’t slip around.
If you’re going to practice these forms of yoga with a standard yoga mat, then you may want to use a towel as well to add a bit more traction for you while you’re on your yoga mat.
Pick the Right Thickness of Yoga Mat
Yoga mats come in a variety of sizes and thicknesses, and it’s up to you to find the right thickness for your yoga sessions. This is important because the thickness of your yoga mat will determine how comfortable you are when you’re practicing yoga.
A yoga mat that is too thin can cause you to feel the hard floor, while a mat that is too thick can make you feel unstable while you try to perfect your yoga technique.
Most yoga mats come in a variety of thicknesses, such as:
- 1 / 8 of an Inch
- 1 / 4 of an Inch
- 1 / 16 of an Inch
- 2 Inches thick
You’ll find that the ⅛ and ¼ inch mats are the most popular, and they provide the right balance between stability and comfort. On the other hand, 2-inch mats are used by individuals that tend to have knee problems or require a little more padding.
The 1/16 inch mats are also referred to as travel yoga mats because they are so slim that you can often sneak them into your luggage and use them for yoga while you’re on the road or travelling the world.
You’ll need to decide which thickness of the yoga mat is right for you by asking yourself where you’ll be using your yoga mats and whether you need extra thickness for more padding.
Choose an Anti-Slip Yoga Mat
When you’re choosing a yoga mat, you’ll want to look for a yoga mat that has anti-slip technology to ensure that your yoga mat doesn’t slip out while you’re trying to perfect your yoga techniques.
The last thing that you need is to get injured from a yoga session because your mat was sliding around on the floor during a yoga class. This problem can be avoided by purchasing a grippy yoga mat that doesn’t slide around when you’re on it.
If you’re unsure about whether a yoga mat will slide around or not, then you should take a look at the product features and see if the box has anything to say about anti-slip features.
You can also look for yoga mats that are made with natural rubber because these types of yoga mats will often be naturally grippy and be designed to grab the floor so that you don’t slide out during a yoga class.
Pick a Yoga Mat with the Right Size
One of the things that you’ll want to look for in a yoga mat is the correct sizing. When your yoga mat is too short, you’ll have trouble with all the positions, and when your yoga mat is too long, you’ll find that you’re taking up too much space in your classes.
You can avoid the problem by merely measuring yourself while you’re laying down and then add a few extra inches to ensure that you have adequate space. This will make sure that you have enough room to properly practice yoga without annoying those around you.
When it comes to yoga mat width, there’s not too much customization, and you can’t usually pick how wide your yoga mat is so you won’t need to worry about this because most yoga mats come in a standard width.
If you are exceptionally tall, then you may want to look for a yoga mat that is designed with extra length. This will help you keep your entire body on your mat while you’re in your yoga sessions.
Choose the Right Texture
If you want to pick a yoga mat that feels good, then you’ll want to give a lot of attention to the surface of the yoga mat that you’re thinking of purchasing. The texture of your yoga mat will determine how you feel while you’re on it, so it’s an essential feature of any yoga mat.
Many people like to go with a smooth yoga mat; however, you should make sure that your yoga mat has a ‘sticky’ feeling.
This sticky feeling will give you a lot of traction while you’re on your yoga mat and help prevent any injuries.
If you hate that sticky feeling while you’re on your yoga may, then you may want to choose a yoga mat that comes with a textured design that is built into the top of the yoga mat. This textured pattern will help you grip the mat while you practice yoga and prevent you from slipping around.
Look for Eco-Friendly Materials
One of the things that you’ll want to look out for when you’re purchasing a yoga mat is the materials that are being used to make the yoga mat. You don’t want to be sweating on a yoga mat that is made from unhealthy materials, not to mention that it’s not good for the economy either.
Many yoga mats are made from PVC materials, especially if you’re looking at yoga mats that only cost only a couple of dollars. The bad thing about PVC materials is that they aren’t biodegradable, which means that they will take longer to decompose and can become environmentally unfriendly.
If you want to purchase a cheap yoga mat that contains PVC, then I would suggest that you look for a recycled version so that you’re helping out the environment while getting a great deal on your yoga mat.
Keep in mind that you may want to keep away from natural rubber yoga mats if your body is allergic to latex. Another option that you could use instead is a jute yoga mat, a cotton yoga mat or some other form of a natural yoga mat.
Shop Within Your Price Range
When you’re purchasing a yoga mat, you’ll want to look for mats that are within your price range so that you don’t need to stress about how much money you’ve spent on your yoga mat.
Yoga should be a way to relieve the stress in your life, but if you’re spending too much money on yoga, then it could become a cause of stress, so you should always buy within your price range.
There is a wide variety of prices when it comes to yoga mats, and you can always find a yoga mat that is right for you and within your budget. While these mats may not have all the bells and whistles of the expensive yoga mats, you’ll find that they are more than adequate for yoga sessions.
Buy a Yoga Mat With a Warranty
You may want to purchase a yoga mat that’s more expensive because it’s higher quality, and you feel like it will provide the most benefit to you whenever you’re practicing your yoga techniques.
If this is the case, then you’ll want to be sure that the yoga mat that you decide on comes with a full warranty. This will protect you against buying a yoga mat that you’re unhappy with or has manufacturer defects. Many of the higher quality yoga mats come with a 1-2 year warranty, which means that your yoga mat should last for at least that time before you need to replace it. If you decide to go for the expensive yoga mats, then I would always recommend that you protect yourself with a warranty.
Find Your Style
One of the things that you may want to look for when you’re searching for the best yoga mat is the style of the yoga mat. While this may not be such a huge issue, you may find that you’re more comfortable using a yoga mat that you love while being in a public setting.
A stylish yoga mat may even help motivate you to keep at your yoga. When you look at it, you’ll remember the commitment that you had when you first started yoga and energize you to unroll your yoga mat and keep going.
How to Break-In Your Yoga Mat
Once you’ve found your perfect yoga mat, it’s time to break it in so that you can enjoy your yoga sessions. You’ll find that new yoga mats can be hard to use because they often slip around and are quite firm, which doesn’t let you settle in.
The best way that you can break in your yoga mat is by using it; however, if you want to break it in faster, then we have some techniques that can help you. Here’s how you quickly break in your yoga mat so that it’s more comfortable and easier to use.
- Use a Salt Scrub – If you want to break in the top layer of your yoga quickly so that it’s easier to use, then you may want to use an ‘exfoliating’ process to help soften the top layer, so that you can get more stability while in your pose. You’ll need to sprinkle some on the top of your mat, then add some warm water and rub it in with a toothbrush or soft cloth before wiping it clean.
- Use it for more than Yoga – Once you’re finished with yoga, you shouldn’t roll up your yoga mat and store it away if you’re trying to break it in. You should leave it unrolled and use it for other activities. If you have to do workouts, then you may want to use your yoga mat for that or even use your feet to walk on your yoga mat while you’re watching TV. All of these things will help soften up your yoga mat and help you settle into your yoga mat the next time that you’re practicing yoga.
- Leave it out in the Sun – If you’re trying to soften up your yoga mat and break it in, then you may want to leave it out in the sun for a couple of hours. Many people have found that this is a successful method for breaking in your yoga mat because the sun naturally softens the top layer of your yoga mat without wrecking your yoga mat.
- Use a Towel – Over time, you’ll find that yoga mat will break in as you use it more, and the sweat absorbs into the top layer and helps break it down. However, if you don’t have time to try the other methods for breaking in your yoga mat, then you may want to use a towel. By placing a towel on the top of your yoga mat, you’ll help your body sink into the mat and get more stability while practicing yoga.
These are just some of the tactics that you can use to help break in your yoga mat and ensure that you settle into your yoga mat and have a lot of stability while practicing your yoga poses.
How to Clean Your Yoga Mat
Now that you’ve found your perfect yoga mat and you know how to break it in so that it’s easier to use, it’s time to learn how to clean your yoga mat so that it’s always clean and ready for the next use without holding any odours that may repel people at your yoga sessions.
It’s essential that you regularly clean your yoga mat because this will determine how you feel while practicing yoga. If your yoga mat is covered in old sweat, then you’ll feel sticky while exercising, and you may even pick up a sweat smell that won’t motivate you to keep going with your yoga.
On the other hand, if you clean your yoga mat regularly, then you’ll find that it feels fresh, and you’ll look forward to practicing yoga because your mat will feel so clean and relaxing. I would recommend that you use a nice breezy mixture for cleaning your yoga mat so that you love how it smells while you’re using it.
Here are some Do’s and Don’ts that you can use as guidelines when you’re cleaning your yoga mat.
- Use natural cleaners that are water-based
- Use a 50% water and 50% white vinegar spray for a natural disinfectant
- Lightly Spray your mat and wipe the water off quickly
- Use tree oils or essential oils with scents to make your mat smell fresh after cleaning it. Remember to dilute the oils heavily so that they don’t tarnish your mat.
- Don’t use a lot of soap or toxic cleaning solutions
- Don’t soak your yoga mat or let it become waterlogged
- Don’t put your yoga mat out in the sun if it’s wet
These are some of the tips that we have found to be helpful for cleaning and maintaining your yoga mat. If you follow these guidelines, your yoga mat should last longer and remain more hygienic and clean while you’re using it.
How to Roll Your Yoga Mat to Avoid Curls
When it comes to rolling up your yoga mat after a Yoga session, you would think that it’s pretty easy to clean up your yoga mat and pack up your things so that you can leave to go home.
However, as with most things, there is a right and wrong way to do something, and it’s no different when it comes to rolling up your yoga mat. If you want your yoga mat to lay flat and have no curling edges, then you’ll need to roll up your yoga mat properly when you’re packing it up.
Here’s how you can avoid edge curls by rolling your yoga mat properly.
- First off, you’ll want to lay your yoga mat out on the floor with the side that you practice on facing upwards. To help you keep track of which side is facing up, you could write your name with a sharpie. This will help you keep track of which side should be facing up and prevent your yoga mat from getting lost or taken by someone else. Write your name in the upper corner where your hands would be if you’re in the Down Dog.
- Next, you’ll want to walk to the back of your yoga mat to where your feet would be if you’re practicing the Down Dog. Then you’ll want to squat down and grab the mat firmly with two hands and flip the mat over so that the side you don’t lay on is now facing up.
- Now, you’ll want to grab the mat firmly and roll up your mat as tightly as you can so that your yoga mat is all compact. Once you’re finished, your yoga mat should be in a tight roll with your name showing so that everyone knows who the yoga mat belongs to.
- Once you’ve finished the last step, your yoga mat is ready to be stored, and the next time that you practice yoga, you’ll only have to unroll your yoga mat and then flip it over. With this technique, you’ll find that your yoga mat will lay on the floor without the edges curling.
And that’s how you can avoid those annoying edge rolls that your yoga mat may tend to do while you’re practicing yoga. Always remember to store the yoga mat after you’ve rolled it like this so that the mat will get formed in the proper direction.
Do Yoga Mats Wear Out?
While we were writing this buying guide for the best yoga mats, we found that many people were asking if their yoga mats will wear, and the short answer to this question is yes, your yoga mat will wear out over time.
Depending on how often you use your yoga mat and how careful you are with cleaning and maintaining your yoga mat, it may last a lot longer than other yoga mats that aren’t being taken care of properly.
If you’re wondering if it’s time to replace your old yoga mat, we have created a list of signals that will show you when it’s time to get rid of your old yoga mat and replace it with a newer one.
Here are some signs that your yoga mat may be wearing out.
- Your mat is uneven – When you’re looking at your yoga mat, you should look at the edges of your yoga mat and see if all the edges are even. If your mat is bumpy or has sections of the edges missing, then you’ll know that your yoga mat is nearing the end of its life and may need replacing.
- Your mat is falling apart – Another sign that your yoga mat is old and needs replacing is when it begins to fall apart. If you go to pick up your mat and there are pieces of your yoga mat on the floor, then it may be time to invest in a new yoga mat.
- It’s no longer grippy – If you’re finding that your yoga mat is lacking traction and it always is sliding around the floor, then it may be time to replace your may. When your yoga mat starts to age, you’ll find that it becomes smoother, which can lead to you slipping and even injury.
- You can’t hold your pose – As your yoga mat begins to age, you’ll find that the cushion starts to wear down, which is nice because it lets you settle into your mat while practicing yoga. However, if your yoga mat is old, you’ll find that you won’t be able to stay in your pose for very long, and yoga will become more difficult.
- You get joint pain – One of the most common ways that you can tell that your yoga mat is worn out is because you’ll begin to get joint pain after your yoga sessions. The joint pain occurs when your mat is too thin and doesn’t offer enough cushion to protect your joints from the hard floors. If this is the case, you may want to invest in a new yoga mat so that you don’t get any long term injuries.
- Your yoga mat has holes – When people get attached to a specific yoga mat, they may tend to use it for longer than the yoga mat was designed for. This problem often results in the yoga mat developing holes in the mat and becoming lumpy, which means that the yoga mat doesn’t look good and provides less support for the user.
- Your yoga mat stinks – Regardless of how much time you’ve spent into cleaning your yoga mat and trying to keep it smelling fresh, you’ll find that your yoga mat will slowly start to smell over time, which can make your yoga mat unattractive for you to use. If you’ve discovered that your yoga mat is starting to stink, then you may want to invest in a new yoga mat.
If you’re reading this and your yoga mat has similar issues, then you may want to invest in a new yoga mat. Remember that you can avoid many of these issues and make your yoga mat last longer by taking care of it properly.
Summary — Best Yoga Mats for 2020
We hope that this guide to the best yoga mats has helped you find the right yoga mat for yourself and helped you know what to look for when you’re trying to buy the best yoga mat for your yoga sessions.
While you don’t need to buy the most expensive yoga mat that there is, you should always look for a high-quality product that is within your price range so that you feel good about your yoga mat every time that you use it.
You can also prolong the life of your yoga mat by taking care of it and ensuring that you always clean and store it properly after each use. This will help keep your yoga mat clean and fresh while making sure that you don’t need to buy another yoga mat for a long time.